Archbishop Cornelius O’Brien was consecrated Archbishop of Halifax in 1883 on the Feast of St. Agnes, and subsequently wrote a small book on her life. The book was titled “St. Agnes, Virgin and Martyr” and the proceeds from the sale helped fund the first St. Agnes Church on the corner of Chebucto and Mumford Roads. Recently Father Williams received a copy of this book, sent by a donor from St. Catherine’s, Ontario.
Treasures of our Church:
Our beautiful new pipe organ, Opus 2566, was built in 1959 by Casavant Frères of St. Hyacinth, Quebec. This instrument was a gift to the Sisters of Charity by John J. White and family of Boston, Massachusetts, whose daughter, Sr. Marie Agnes (White), played it for many years.
This organ, a 3 manual 28 stop, was voiced in the classical tradition. It and the St. Mary’s Basilica organ, built and installed at the same time, are considered to be two of the finest such instruments in Eastern Canada.
The Mother house organ supplied the musical needs of the Sisters for over 50 years and was kept in exquisite shape. We are most grateful to the Sisters for their generous donation of this beautiful organ to the parish of St. Agnes, and in turn we will continue to keep up the legacy of the organ, both musically and maintenance-wise, so that future generations will be able to enjoy the spiritual sound of its music in praise of the Lord here at St. Agnes.
The Parish wishes to express its sincere thanks to Mr. Robert Hiller, the representative from Casavant Frères, for his untiring efforts over the months to ensure our organ was installed and working properly. The care he has taken is quite evident in the delightful sounds that lift our spirits during our daily worship.
You can’t have failed to notice the fourteen magnificent stained glass windows which grace St. Agnes Church. These windows once added to the beauty and elegance of the Chapel of the Convent of the Sacred Heart on Spring Garden Road. The windows, which depict scenes from the New testament, were given to St. Agnes Church in 1979 by the Society of the Sacred Heart at the time when the convent chapel was demolished. The original Convent windows were destroyed in the Halifax Explosion and were replaced by ones made and installed in the chapel in 1925 by the Meyer Company of Munich, Germany, the same company which replaced the windows in St. Mary’s Basilica and St. Patrick’s Church. In 1979 the windows were crated and shipped to Franz Cuppens of St. John NB where experts redesigned them to fit the windows at St. Agnes. At the time of the rededication service, two plaques were unveiled. One bears the name of the original donors and the other the names of the parishioners and other benefactors of St. Agnes church who financed the construction and installation of the windows. They are located at the back of the church.